Friday, June 27, 2014

Home-to-stay?


Last weekend Emily, Gretchen, Laura and myself had a girly sleepover ^_^.

During the day I headed to Osu Kannon with hopes that the Lolita dress that I had spotted while with Mum though did not have the monies to purchase at the time, would still be there. No luck. Did however have a good wander around the shops before heading to Hongo to meet Laura to travel to Kinjo University.

Laura made cookie monster cupcakes ( inspired by my cookie monster shirt, I think). Because she was lacking some of the ingredients, Laura needed to substitute a number of them including using coconut milk instead of cow milk, though despite this they were absolutely delicious!

We played Cards Against Humanity and Truth or Dare, which turned out to be more truth with no dares proposed. Nails were painted (mine were kinshyachi colour) , cupcakes eaten and topics discussed. Was good to talk about some of our shared experiences in Japan as well as my weight issues which have been getting be down quite a bit recently.

Sleep was had though for me it was brief as the BBQ at Agui with my previous host family started at 11:30. Usually getting to Agui does not take too long, though just in case my brain refused to remember how to get there, extra time was given to the task. Breakfast was at Starbucks Kanayama and I had a caramel latte, for sentimental reasons. <3

懐かしい夏のお菓子 - Natsukashii natsu no okashi (The nostalgic sweets of summer )

On the train to Agui. Was about Otagawa as the buildings began to give way to more and more rice fields,  that the memories began flooding back. Flashes of the past juxtaposed onto the present, matching them almost perfectly as I came to fully realized my destination. Home.

The joyful tears feel silently, clouding my view of the ever familiar scenery that I would watch from the train every morning on my way to school. This place, set in my mind and my heart as one of my few true homes. Agui.


Nanako collected me from the station, though I did not recognize her at first as she was, like me, a child upon our last meeting. The decision to travel 5 minutes to pick me up in the car seemed odd yet justified as it had been raining all day, though with all the memories flooding back I, in that instant knew all the roads and trails that would lead to my destination.


Leaving the car the house before me, I climbed the few steps while admiring the vegetable garden I had never seen in Summer. The front door was heavy as always, the entrance area tidy and giving me my first glimpse into the house with it's light wood tones and ever cheerful atmosphere.

(Memory): 2009 - Leaving Nagoya for Tokyo on the Shinkansen with so many mixed emotions regarding my return to Australia. Glad to be going back to my family, though deeply sad at leaving my life in Japan and already determined to return. Hiramatsu and Kito sensei have come to see me off along with my last host family, the Sakata Family. The shinkansen pulls up and it occurs to me that this may be the last time I see Nagoya. The teachers help me with my bags and step on-board with me, though unexpectedly my host mother also gets on the train. Okasan went with me all the way to Tokyo despite the cost of the shinkansen. She kept me calm through the entirety of the difficult journey.

We arrived at Tokyo station and the time came. My host mother looked at me and in that final moment said " Itterashyai" (enjoy your day) to which I replied "...ittekimasu" (I'm off). Then she was gone and the chapter closed.

(Present): Taking my shoes off I step into the entry then through the arch of the door to the main house. From around the corner of the kitchen, my host mother comes to greet me. Tears (much like the ones that flow down my cheeks as I write this) had never come so easily or spontaneously.

"tadaima" (I'm home)
       "Okaeri" (Welcome home).

(I'd waited 4 years just to say this)

Seeing Mioko, the host sister that I admire so much who was the best big sister I could have asked for, bought even more tears. Eventually the crying subsided when I realized that they had guests. Of course the had guests, it was a BBQ party!. No shame in love for your family. <3

The nagashi soumen was a pleasant surprise and everyone had a fantastic time trying to grab the soumen as it flowed down the bamboo, their little cups of soy sauce at the read for dipping them.Was my first time experiencing this and it's definitely on my list of things to do again. ^_^

 The BBQ itself was so very delicious with no shortage of tasty tasty meat. *mouth waters*. They even had ribs!


Dad came home and wandered into the kitchen. When he turned and noticed me it was a surreal experience and all I could do was stare (which was probably rather strange) as he came over and remarked on how nice I looked before shaking my hand. He always reminds me of my own Dad with his philosophies on life and family. Later in the evening he would remark on how he was thankful to have three women (his wife and two daughters) in the house as they brought vibrancy and happiness. 

The afternoon/evening was the best I have had in a long time. There is so much happiness in that home as there is so much love and happiness in that family. I was surrounded by new friends and beloved family. However, it was touched by a bittersweet note of Mioko's departure in early July for Gana, Africa. Mioko is one of the most kindhearted, globally minded individuals that I've the pleasure to know and will be traveling to Gana to help establish and maintain farming practices that will help sustain development. While this is a highly admirable dream and she has such passion and motivation, the position is for 2 year and as the evening wound up and there was a chance to chat with my host Mum, I came to realize some of the feelings that my own mother would have had when I first left for Japan.

Only brought one set of clothes which I had been wearing since traveling to Osu Kannon the previous day, so my host Mum gave me an unworn shirt of Dad's. Slept in my favorite spot beneath the piano that night. ^_^ Woke up and took the dog Fran-chan for a walk through the brilliantly familiar and now nostalgic countryside. It's amazing how easy it was to settle back into being there.


 Hopefully my stay with the family will begin early July and finish sometime before University resumes. My host mother was extremely keen to have to stay there and even said I could have gone back to the dorm, collected my things and came straight back. However logically my stay should begin when Mioko heads out as there will be a room free.

This post turned out longer than I had planned due to the amount of emotion connected to visiting my host family again. As a reward, please enjoy this image of one of the local shrines in Agui.

No comments:

Post a Comment