Wednesday, June 11, 2014

両親と遊ぼう!Adventures with my parents.


 Day one - Tokyo - Airport


Caught a bus (Ihouse -> Hongo) to catch a train (Hongo -> Nagoya) to catch a bus (Nagoya -> (Shibuya)Tokyo) to catch a train (Tokyo -> Narita) which I made a mistake on and ended up riding 3 to backtrack, to be there at 8pm to meet my parents at the gate.

The bus from Nagoya to Tokyo I almost did not find and required the help of a kind man from another bus company. The previous bus had tanuki on it and was pink like ours. Inside the bus had a TV with movies and Sega games. I played Sonic and Knuckles while relaxing in the comfy pink seats.

Upon successfully arriving at the airport I spotted the very first convenience store that I saw in Japan on my first exchange. I remember buying CC Lemon for the electrolytes. Checked out the food and shopping level after this and got some macha kakogori (green tea shaved ice).


Can now confirm that wasabi kitkats DO exist, along with a number of other flavours that I have never seen before and will probably never see again.

Was wonderful to see my parents and it's still a little surreal to see them in Japan. We booked in to the ANA Intercontinental. They bought me up a trundle bed and it was super comfy though the pillows were too soft >.<. Thus concludes day 1.

 Day two - Tokyo - Kaminari-mon and Senso-ji Temple


Woke early taking the Ginza line to Asakusa where we perused the markets and saw Kaminari-mon and Senso-ji Temple. Breakfast was at Excelsior Cafe, my parents tried anko taiyaki, senbei ,kibidango and melonpan.
Seeing the iconic Kaminari-mon with my own eyes is something that I'll never forget. By it's remarkable fame alone the Kaminari-mon a sight to behold, let alone it's sheer size and presence that  many is something you really must go see if in Japan.
We then headed to Skytree. So much Evangelion/Skytree merchandise!! Nearly died when I saw all the Evangelion merchandise and I bought a large quantity.Managed to see the Moomin cafe though did not get to go in as my parents were not too keen.

Lunch was Starbucks and dinner was at a small Izakaya where we had delicious Nepalese influenced Japanese dishes and met a really pleasant man from Nepal who Dad kept saying had a thing for me. o.0


Day Three - Tokyo - Akihabara

Akihabaras' electric town on a rainy day. As soon as we got to the main area (as we were not able to find it straight out of the station) mum went searching for radios with Dad and I went to one of the massive anime merchandise stores. Akihabara is indeed nerd paradise it seems, with tech and anime shops everywhere you look. This was the morning that Dad discovered the cheese breakfast dogs from Vie De France and I discovered the Apple Cake Triangle which I am now addicted to.

First store I entered was a loli-hentai store and it had the tanuki's name all over it. The store had 7 floors catering to Japanese men who may never get girlfriend  :P Lollies wall to wall and various merchandise such as hug pillows featuring their likeness.

Second store was also 7 floors, though this time they were all full of anime merchandise and had everything from Dragon Ball Z figures to Dolfie Dreams. Finally managed to find that holy grail of Nagisa-kun merchandise, the Real Action Heroes Nagisa Kaworu posable plugsuit figurine. My life became complete in this moment. 

Third store was an adult store labeled " Adult Amusement Park". They had fluffy butt tails and various things that wizz and wurr and twirl and vibrate. There was also a Mikuji shrine in the store called Akihabara Man-chin Jinjya where you could get your sex fortune. Mine is good aparently.

After these little adventures Dad was still having trouble finding the store he wished to visit, so Mum and I went to have lunch at Maid Dreamin. Mum did not understand any of what was being said to her, though seemed to enjoy the adorable food and watching the maids cast their magic. Was a pleasant experience for me as always. ^_^ The maids were adorable and the service fantastic. Once mum had finished her meal she elected to find Dad who was looking at cameras in the next shop over by this point, though I wished to have dessert in the maid made wonderland. It was at this point that I met Fredric from France. He is in finance, is currently traveling solo and will also be in Kyoto this week. Hope that I will meet him in Kyoto.
 
Evening bought more delights with a seasonal feast from the hotel restaurant Unkai. 8 courses of Japanese cuisine .  Managed to get a menu for Alex. Wore my lolita dress and enjoyed the food and company immensely. ^_^ Wish we had been able to view the hyped Japanese traditional garden out the window, though that was hardly a drawback for the fantastic service and quality of the food. Cannot wait to recall this even in person to Alex and George and possibly enjoy such food with friends or family again in the future.

 

Day Four - Tokyo - Meiji Jingu and Harajiku 


Headed to Meiji Jingu despite the continuing downpour of the rainy seasons. Purchased an extra umbrella at the station with little blue and pink stars, as it was difficult to share one umbrella between three people.


The walk to the shrine was long and wet and despite my shoes and moko-chan getting soaked, was definitely worth it. It's difficult to escape the majesty of the shrine with it's breathtakingly intricate wood and metal work, god trees with wishing Ema (絵馬) and overall sense of being close to something enshrined in history with a deep spiritual feel.

 

We hung our wish on the wishing tree, saw temple staff in their traditional outfits (which I would love to emulate) and witnessed not one, but two weddings showing two different styles of wedding gown, both of them equally beautiful. Dad managed to get this wonderful picture that captures their happiness well I think. ^_^  I explained to my parents that one day I should like to be married at a Japanese shrine and don the traditional robes. Could there be a foxes wedding. 狸?

At the shrine there was also a bonsai display with many magnificently well kept bonsai, some over 200 years old. Those on display reflected the plants of the season that were also blooming across Japan in abundance and it was a delight to see them in minature . Cy-chan is only 5 years old, though if we can get a tradition going at this dorm I think they stand a chance of growing to that age.

The afternoon was Harajuku which is conveniently located not far from Meiji Jingu. Harajuku, the home of lolita and just about every other uniquely quirky, wacky and wonderful style that has come out of Japan, did not disappoint! Walking along Takeshita-dori I witnessed a number of unique styles and entered the shops from which they were created. Was surprised to find a Liz Lisa store along the street which is a brand that, thanks to Gretchen I have become increasingly familiar with.

 My main purchase was this awesome gothic cat jacket which I feel is reminiscent of the Cheshire Cat from the recent Tim Burton remake of Alice In Wonderland, however I also purchased some other odds and ends for friends and some extra poof for my lolita dresses.

 After possibly the best crepe I have had so far in Japan,  we headed home. Needless to say after such a big day sleep found us soon.


  Day Five - Tokyo to Nagoya 

Caught a Hikari Shinkansen from Tokyo to Nagoya. So exciting to ride the second fastest train in Japan as I have developed quite a love for and interest in the types of Japanese trains ever since my first exchange. My brother Takumi would be proud.

Arriving in Nagoya my parents and I headed straight to the dorm to put our bags down, then back out again to Sakae where we wandered for a while. It had been a big day of travel so we had dinner at "Tamago to watashi" (an omelet and rice restaurant recommended to be by Gretchen and Emily) then headed home early and straight to bed.


 

Day Five - Nagoya - Nagoya Castle and Osu Kannon

Woke early to catch the train in to show my parents Nagoya castle. It was there as it always is, along with the man who sets up shop just to the left of exit 5 selling sakura mochi all year round. After viewing the now slightly overgrown gardens, eating some kakigouri and taking the obligatory photo of me looking fabulous in my lolita dress in front of the castle, I climbed the stairs up the 7 floors to the lookout. There are some days when I wake up and think " I could climb all the stairs of Nagoya-jo"..this morning was not one of those.  Took a photo on my friend the kin-syachi (golden dolphin) before heading down the floors, perusing them one by one.



















 For lunch we had Miso-katsu in Nagoya Ordered the osusume as always. Dad was so impressed with the taste of the dish that be vowed we shall return.


Afternoon was shopping in Osu Kannon as there were a number of items I had bought there and shown on my blog that Mum was keen to view. Feeling completely at home in Osu in my lolita outfit, it was safe to say that I was wearing the second most beautiful outfit I had seen that day. Was outdone by another lolita wearing something which must have been Baby The Stars Shine Bright or another brand that just stuns people wherever they go. This wast only because  I'd opted to wear my second favorite dress just in case that rain from Tokyo followed us.

Chatted with Nuki in the evening which was extremely pleasant as I had missed the tanuki and after thinking for a few days while being away from home, have decided that he gives rather good advice and is great for my mental health. He read some Don Quixote to me before bed time.

Day Six - Nagoya - Relax 


Woke up at 11am. Mum woke up around midday. Had plans to head to the post office, these fell through, though I did manage to remember to pay rent so at least got something ticked off my to do list. Dad however was up earlier and managed to make his way to the electric store near my university, bringing back an Ethernet cable for himself and a wireless router which he helped me set up. We booked our hotel room for tomorrow night in Kyoto and made sure it was within reach of my beloved fox temple.

Around 4 we headed to Hanashoubu, the bathhouse which is very close to Aichi Shukutoku University and a place I wish to frequent more often as it's rather a great place to soak away all my troubles. Lunch was cold kishimen noodles and a fruit smoothy. Dad had been carrying the bulk of the bags so far on the trip, required a massage (or was possibly just too shy to enter the bathhouse) so after sorting out a 90 minute massage for him, mum and myself headed for the ladies side of the bathhouse.

Mum took to the bathhouse like...a duck to water? Usually the whole getting naked in front of other women thing would freak people out, though Mum took it in her stride. Managed to trick Mum into sitting in the electric massage which I find rather an unpleasant sensation, though she managed to flick me with the chilled water from the 16c bath. 0.0 Now we are even.

Then home to what should have been sleep, but ended up in the realization that this blog needs to be written NOW before I completely forget everything.

 Nuki-chan, looking forward to receiving the mail you posted today. Shall send your gifts soonish.

Need to be up in 4 hours to catch a train to Kyoto for the second half of my adventures with my parents.

Plan
Wednesday - Imperial Palace
Thursday - Foxes
Friday - Kinyoubi = kinkakuji. 


No comments:

Post a Comment